Tuesday, April 9, 2013
No one was injured by the blaze, however there was extensive damage to the home.
- POLICE & FIRE
Tuesday, April 9
A fire caused an extensive damage to a home in Lawrenceville on Tuesday (April 9). No injuries were reported, but two adults have been displaced. According to a news release from Gwinnett County Fire spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge, neighbors called authorities around 12:37 p.m. to report a fire at a residence on the 700 block of Slew Avenue near Old Peachtree Road. Investigators say a charcoal BBQ grill on the patio on the side of the house caused the fire. On arrival, fire crews found heavy flames showing from the attic and second floor on the backside of the two-story wood frame house. First-due firefighters deployed attack lines and made immediate entry inside the structure to conduct a search and extinguish the blaze, according to the …
Saturday, March 30, 2013
A fire in downtown Lawrenceville in March destroyed a quarter million dollars worth of Aurora Theatre's props, sets and costumes. Volunteers moved what was able to be salvaged to a temporary storage area this week.
On Wednesday, Aurora Theatre volunteers hauled boxes and furniture and loaded them on to a truck. They were moving everything that had been spared following a fire in downtown Lawrenceville on March 4th. The Lawrenceville theater had stored costumes, props and sets in a basement space on Crogan Street in the old Belk building. The fire resulted in smoke and water damage to an estimated $250,000 worth of the theater's items. The stage sets and other items were stored temporarily in a basement space beneath Rock, Paper, Scissors. They would then be transported to another temporary storage site. Aurora Theatre is still in need of a permanent place to keep the items and funds so they may rebuild their collection. Supporters are asked to …
Monday, March 25, 2013
The Lawrenceville theater stored costumes and sets in a basement beneath shops on the square. A fire damaged that space earlier in the month.
Nearly two decades worth of work was lost following a fire on Crogan Street on March 4th. The Aurora Theatre housed costumes, props and furniture for their plays in a storage space beneath some of the shops on the square. Smoke and water destroyed a majority of the collection. It took 17 years for Aurora to gather the items, valued at about $250,000. “Let’s say you have a period piece,” said Al Stilo, Director of Sales & Marketing at Aurora Theatre. “You can’t just go get a Revolutionary War costume at Marshalls’ or Ross. You can’t just go to Walmart and get a monk’s costume.” The Lawrenceville community quickly came to help the theater following the fire. “A couple of people on the square let us take some items that were salvageable, …
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
A quick response from staff at the Y kept the fire from spreading throughout the gym on Sugarloaf Parkway.
A small fire broke out in a restroom at the J.M. Tull YMCA on Sugarloaf Parkway at about 3pm Tuesday. Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge credits a quick acting staff at the Y for getting everyone out safely and controlling the situation. A wellness coach reportedly put out the flames in a men's restroom in the back of the facility with a fire extinguisher before evacuating the entire building. "The alert actions of the YMCA staff helped to calm the situation and minimized the fire damage," said Rutledge in a release. "The staff quickly recognized the emergency, sounded the fire alarm, and began an orderly evacuation. The staff put their fire evacuation plan into practice and it paid off today." When fire crews arrived on the scene, …
Monday, March 4, 2013
The fire, which started in a storefront basement at 162 E. Crogan St., affected several businesses in downtown Lawrenceville.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, March 4
Firefighters put out a fire off East Crogan Street in downtown Lawrenceville on Monday afternoon that has affected many area businesses. According to Gwinnett County Fire spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden, a business owner called 911 after seeing smoke and fire coming from the basement level of the storefront at 162 East Crogan Street. The basement is common to several businesses including Sparkle Designs, Lawrence Design Group and Afric Art, Rhoden told Patch. The Lawrenceville Visitors Center and the Renaissance Realty Group also carry this location's address, too. Firefighters arrived on scene at 12:17 p.m. and found heavy smoke in the basement, which shares adjoining walls with the other businesses. Crews were able to put out the fire, and …
Saturday, March 2, 2013
The Saturday morning fire on Lawrenceville Suwanee Road caused heavy damage to the home and killed a family dog, fire officials said.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, March 2
A house fire on Lawrenceville Suwanee Road on Saturday morning displaced three adult residents, led to the death of a pet dog and heavily damaged the home, according to a media release from the Gwinnett County Fire Department. Portions of Lawrenceville Suwanee Road were also closed to traffic as firefighters arrived on the scene. According to the release, the 911 dispatch center recieved multiple calls a little after 10 a.m., including one from a witness who reported smoke coming from the residence and people fleeing the home. The fire was mostly on the back side of the house, including the carport area, which was destroyed. The house sustained heavy fire damage to the back porch and dining room, and heavy smoke, heat and water damage …
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Brian Altus, the director of sales for Multivista in Peachtree Corners, wanted to publicly recognize all the people who saved him when he collapsed at work last year.
A citizen recognized Gwinnett County firefighters and his colleagues Thursday for saving his life last year. During Gwinnett Fire's monthly FireStat meeting, Brian Altus, the director of sales for Multivista in Peachtree Corners, recognized 12 people for coming to his rescue last October. Watch the video of the full ceremony to the right. While working in his office that day, Altus told a co-worker that he wasn't feeling well. Shortly after, he collapsed, and his co-workers found him unresponsive on the floor. Someone quickly called 911 and three other co-workers began CPR, rescue breathing and chest compressions. Gwinnett firefighters quickly came to Altus' aid and used a defibrillator to shock him four times. He was sent to the hospital…
Monday, January 28, 2013
Gwinnett firefighters responded to house fires in Lawrenceville, Norcross and Lilburn since Sunday morning.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, January 28
Gwinnett firefighters have responded to house fires in Lawrenceville, Norcross and Lilburn since Sunday morning, according to spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge. No injuries were reported in any of the blazes. In one of the fires, the occupants were awaken by a smoke alarm and escaped unharmed. The family dog also was rescued. Here’s a look at the reports: 400 block Edwards Court, Lawrenceville A passerby called police Monday morning to report a house fire started by a pan of grease left on the stove. Firefighters responded at 10 a.m. and had the fire under control by 10:30 a.m. No one was at home at the time of the fire. The single-story home suffered heavy damage to the structure and the contents inside. 700 block Inland Way, Lilburn A two-…
Thursday, January 24, 2013
A family of four was displaced by the early morning fire.
A mobile home was damaged in Lawrenceville early Thursday morning. Gwinnett Fire investigators say a space heater may be to blame. The flames began at the home at 1376 High Sierra Court at around 4:30am. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found a mattress burning in the master bedroom. Investigators say the fire was started by a space heater being placed too close to the wall and bed. The three adults and one child living in the home were alerted by a smoke detector and managed to escape the home unharmed. On their way out, someone closed the door to the bedroom, helping to keep the fire to that one room. "Firefighters credit the smoke alarm with saving the lives those inside and providing them with an early warning and added …
Saturday, January 12, 2013
The fire reportedly started in a dryer at the club on Stone Mountain Street.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, January 12
A small fire broke out at the Boys and Girls Club in Lawrenceville Friday evening. Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services were called to the club at 382 Stone Mountain Street. Shortly before 7pm. When crew arrived, they found a dryer fire in a block room of the building. The sprinkler system managed to contain the fire to the one room. No structural damage was reported. One person was evaluated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation. No other injures were reported.