Register Kindergartners on May 3

Bring the student, your photo ID and their documents to your Lawrenceville school.


Parent or guardians of children who will be five years old by Sept. 1, 2012, and want to register them for kindergarten in Gwinnett County Public Schools, need to visit their school in Lawrenceville on Thursday, May 3. This is annual kindergarten registration day for Gwinnett County Public Schools.

Kindergarten registration for the new school year takes place before the summer to provide time to organize classes and to allow students to participate in readinesss activities. School starts Aug. 6.

Parents and guardians should call their local elementary school for registration times or visit the “2012 Countdown for Kindergarten” section on the GCPS web site (www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us) for more information and school telephone numbers.

Here’s what parents and guardians should bring to kindergarten registration:

  • The student. Schools may offer activities or screenings on registration day. Parents and guardians should check with their school for details.
  • An official document showing proof of birth date. Examples include an original birth certificate or birth registration, an official state or federal form with date of birth, or a passport.
  • Proof of residency in the attendance zone. The school requires proof of residency, which may be verified by presenting a current utility bill (excluding telephone bills) with one of the following documents:
    - a non-contingent sales contract
    - current lease/rental agreement
    - most recent income tax return
    - current paycheck stub
    - current Medicaid card
    - current warranty or quick claim deed
    - current home purchase agreement
    - current homeowner’s insurance policy
    - current residential property tax statement or bill.
    Documents presented for residency verification must include the same
    address as the accompanying utility bill. An exception: A deed without an address is acceptable if accompanied by two utility bills (excluding telephone bills) with same address in the attendance zone. A contingency contract is not acceptable. If the parent lives with a friend or family member and needs information about verifying residency, they can call their local school.
  • A Georgia certificate of immunization. By state law, a valid certificate of immunization (Form #3231) or a notarized statement of religious exemption is required for enrollment. The certificate of immunization must be completed by the health department or a private physician. A valid Form #3231 must be marked with either “Date of Expiration” or as “Complete for School Attendance.” (A certificate marked with a “Date of Expiration” expires on the date indicated. A current certificate must be submitted within 30 days of expiration.) A medical exemption should be noted on Form #3231 with a current date of expiration. Parents may request a form from their school for religious exemption.
  • Evidence of vision, hearing, and dental exams obtained in the past year. This information should be on Georgia Form #3300, available from the health department or a private physician and dentist. Letters from appropriate healthcare professionals and out-of-statecertificates are acceptable, if completed within the last 12 months and stapled to the state form.
  • Photo ID. The person enrolling a student should present proper identification. This identification may include a driver’s license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency or consulate.
  • Proof of custody/guardianship. Proof of guardianship is required for
    registration if the enrolling adult is not the birth parent. To learn more, contact Gwinnett County Probate Court at 770-822-8350.
  • The child’s Social Security number. State law requires that schools
    ask for this number at the time of enrollment. Students will be enrolled, even if the number is not provided. However, parents not providing a number will be asked to sign a waiver.
  • A copy of the pre-K progress report if the child has attended a state pre-K program. Parents also can bring the final pre-K assessment to the teacher when the new school year begins. The information can serve as a benchmark of the child’s skills and abilities.

If a parent is not sure which school their kindergartner will attend, he or she should call the GCPS Planning Department at 678-301-7085. Parents and guardians who feel more comfortable speaking a language other than English should be ready to call with the assistance of a bilingual relative or friend in case an interpreter is not immediately available.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »