News Alert
Gwinnett School of Math, Science & Tech No. 3 in…

New Rules for Renewing Driver's License Start July 1

To be fully compliant with the Federal Real ID Act of 2005, the State of Georgia is implementing new requirements when renewing or applying for a driver's license on July 1.


Beginning July 1, 2012, the Georgia Department of Driver Services will require additional documentation when applying for or renewing your driver's license or applying for an ID card.

It's all part of a national security plan to improve the security of Georgia's DL and ID cards and to be fully compliant with the Federal Real ID Act of 2005.

"We all had to go through this process when we first applied for a driver's license," said Susan Sports, communications director for the Georgia DDS. Providing the required documents will only be necessary this one time, she said.

The only visible difference from the current DL/ID is that a gold star will be printed on the top right corner of the Secure DL and IDs. The new licensing process also is aimed at provding additional protection from identity theft.

According to the Georgia DDS website before getting your driver's license renewed, here's what you'll need to do:

  • You must visit a Customer Service Center in person on your first renewal, reinstatement or first issuance beginning July 1, 2012.
  • You must provide an original or certified copy of your Birth Certificate or other proof of identity, and proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the United States.
  • You must provide your Social Security Card or other proof of full SSN. Previously, DDS was allowed to simply ask you for your SSN; and
  • You must provide two different proofs of your residential address. Previously, DDS only required one proof of your residential address for your 1st DL or ID card.
  • Additional documentation to verify lawful presence in the United States may be required if you are a non-citizen.
  • Additional documentation may be required if you have had a legal name change.

Visit the DDS's website for additional instructions. Click here for a list of accepted documents.

What do you think about the changes? Tell us in the comments below.

R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew July 05, 2012 at 02:28 AM
Called outright BS on the voting claim It is a inconvenience to prove your ID, but so many states gave away IDs and then those falses were turned in here to get GA ID there is apparently no way to proceed So as a Citizen, I'll guess I will carry the papers that the undocumented refuse to so as to help increase the public safety on our roads...
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew July 05, 2012 at 02:33 AM
There is, it called actually ENFORCING the laws currently in existence - but our Federal Government has chosen over the last 30 years to look the other way, that's been the ONE TRUE Bi Partisan policy.
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew July 05, 2012 at 02:36 AM
And that's what happens when you BLINDLY accept funding and matching grants at every single turn from Washington DC like there is NO tomorrow, WITHOUT a single question..
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew July 05, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Proving once again "CITIZENS will do the jobs that the Undocumented REFUSE to do" Like COMPLY with LAWS.
Brian Crawford July 05, 2012 at 05:07 AM
There are no unintended consequences here. This is all part of our Republican state government's effort to suppress minority voting. They are rigging the 2012 election 6 ways to Sunday.
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew July 05, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Of course - the evil DOJ is in it up to it's eyeballs right Brian?
Brian Crawford July 05, 2012 at 03:18 PM
When the Real ID Act of 2005 was enacted it was decried by a wide range of politicians, from Ron Paul to Mike Huckabee, as a push by the Department of Homeland Security's towards a national ID card. Many states, including Georgia, enacted their own legislation to prevent the implementation of Real ID. The Georgia law cited an estimated cost to Georgians of $11 billion dollars to fully implement the act. So why the change of heart now? Did we suddenly find $11 billion dollars in the state budget to support a federal statute that just 5 years ago we were vehemently opposed to? Or did our Republican state government simply find an easy way to suppress the minority vote? These questions should be asked by every freedom loving Georgian. The DOJ needs to be up to it's eyeballs in this to protect the right to vote for every American citizen. http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/fulltext/sb5.htm
Scott July 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM
So tell me why the license I have that I had to scan my fingerprint for isn't good enough to prove who I am when it's time to renew? My fingerprint was put into the bar-code on the back of my current license. I thought that was supposed to help somehow. Why isn't that enough proof of who I am? Thank goodness I don't have to renew until 2018 so hopefully the state will have hired enough people to get the wait times down under an hour. I'll have to renew my passport before I renew my drivers license.
Tg July 06, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Another way to control voting privileges, and steer election. It's the same stuff that happen before 1965.
Kiki July 06, 2012 at 10:11 PM
My son is teaching in Korea and his license will expire in a couple of months. Does anyone know if I have Power Of Attorney if that is good enough?
Vanzetta Evans (Editor) July 06, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Kiki, I searched the Dept. of Driver Services website and could not find an answer to your question. I suggest you call their customer service line at 1-877-TELL-DDS or 1-877-835-5337. You can also email them. Here's the link: http://www.dds.ga.gov/Contact/index.aspx
Sharron Meek O'Brien September 24, 2012 at 02:01 AM
I have seen and heard of a lot of stupid things in my life, but this takes the cake. I have had DL since 1976, and now you want my birth cert. marriage cert. and ss card and 2 more forms of id of where I live. How do you think I got my DL in the first place and had my married name changed?????? Now I have to dig it all up again. Let me prove (again) I was born in the US , not hatched from an egg or that a space ship dropped me at my mother's doorsteps with a note? Please!!!! How and what in the world is this fixing, or helping... if anything other to get on peoples last nerve?
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew September 24, 2012 at 02:54 AM
It truly is FOOLISH now that the President's policies hand out work permits to those that actually qualify for deportation, an honor that takes a lot of effort in itself since you have break laws to get onto "the list" to begin with ... (Sigh) Perhaps that policy gem will be rescinded in a few months. But to those who claim that this is really a "voter reduction program", this is a claim made by those who haven't actually worked a voting location in GA in their lives. Because if they had, they would know how foolish that crock of fertilizer really is - it boggles the mind to see how many different types of photo ids are REALLY accepted. The fact is having the ID just makes voting FASTER, period. But hey to the filtering out the FAILED policy results of the illegal, undocumented Sanctuary cites and states everywhere that handed out (or still are hand out) IDs like its Christmas every day, those "falsies" moved here and got GA IDs so we had to step up and be responsible. Remember 9-11 now the sad part is most of those got in here under visas that weren't tracked but our border is just as FUBAR today if not more so than then... Some misguided policy wonk believes we will have to pay to return those that we didn't pay to BRING in here in the first place and WE can't have that...
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew September 24, 2012 at 03:24 AM
No - not by a long shot ...
Mary Nugent September 29, 2012 at 01:17 AM
I'm a 66 year old woman who has been married twice: once in 1971 and again in 1985. Both marriages ended in divorce. What does this have to do with renewing my Georgia license? Name changes, of course!! I am now to provide a marriage certificate for each marriage and a certified Divorce Decree. I foolishly believed that I would never have reason to be in possession of these documents, but that has proven act of idiocy on my part. I discarded these documents as of no interest to anyone, until I discovered that my driving privileges are contingent upon these papers being provided to Driver Services so they can review my "trail." (I never realized I had a "trail," or that it was worth tracking. This will now cause me to spend time, money and needless aggravation, all for the sake of satisfying inane regs that don't make anything better or safer.
R++ One of the Famous Dacula Crew September 29, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Mary, Yes it seems that the government is placing more laws on those who will abide by them then those who break them, probably because the law abiding will comply MUCH easier. They call themselves lawmakers, therefore they reason they must have law followers. We are having to provide this documentation because many seem to think visitors to the USA shouldn't have to. As one who has traveled the world, every other country expected me to carry documentation and PROVE my right to be "there" on request at any time. A reasonable expectation that I NEVER thought twice about. So while you are offended, take a moment and let someone in a position at the FEDERAL level such as your congressmen or senator know about it right on their website. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they are causing great aggravation to our citizens because of "their" VERY personal and COMPLETE disregard to THEIR OBLIGATION and responsibility to secure "OUR" borders. It's not a republican or democrat problem, because it belongs firmly to both sides. When the president hands out work permits via "personal" interpretation instead of the deportations rightly earned, our leaders claim that they never hear complaints about the irresponsible way we handle visas while other states such as CA actively seek to decline prosecution of illegal lawbreakers' crimes and then INTENTIONALLY set them free to travel to other states and repeat offend something has to give. And so far the "giver" is us.
RUTH WOMACK October 19, 2012 at 05:50 PM
Why do I have to have a copy of my marriage license. I have been married since 1958 and I'm not even sure I can find it.
M1 October 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
As long as any person is legal this cannot and will not affect their ability to vote in any way. so let's don't lie and make people think this could suppress minority voters. If you are not a legal citizen of the united states you have no right to vote !!!!!!!!! Don't matter what color, creed, religion, or anything else..... It's real simple .. If you are a U.S. citizen and can prove it you can vote!
M1 October 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Our current governing body wants to be a dictator ship. They want to be the big government that tells its people what they can and cannot do. Like the Health care bill. My father had a choice... I thought i would have those same privlages, But seems that i now don't have a choice.. Thanks to the current president and his staff. I can complain about this because i didn't vote for him. Some of those on this page did! All you have to do is read their post. I'm not sure what the American people want. I don't cast a vote based on party, i don't cast my vote based on skin color, I try to find out as much about the candidates as i can and make a wise decision based on facts not all the crap you here them saying. Vote based on the facts people, This is still America and for now we are still the land of the free! I love my country more than any republic candidate or democratic candidate. More than the party. news radio and t.v. are all full of lies, They will say what you want them to if you write them a check. so don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
Donald R Lockard November 08, 2012 at 06:36 PM
AMAN sister
Jones Sandra December 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM
i just founded out to get my drivers License which i now have a learner's permit, i need marriage certificate, two bills, birth certificate, this is the most crazy thing that Georgia have come up with, I have proven who I am, now I have to keep reproving that I am a citizen's, my picture is on my license what else do they need, this is crazy, there have to be something behind this, "this is a close door law"
James Poss December 10, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Even though I have proven my identity and citizenship many times over (military, security clearance, passport) I don't mind the aggravation that much. HOWEVER I expect our elected representatives to do their part and send the illegals back where they belong and/or make it so distasteful here (can't get jobs, free medical care, welfare,etc) that they self deport. Any bets as to how long that will take?
Susan S January 05, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I agree, I had to show my birth certificate to get my license when I was 16 and I am 58. They make us stand in long lines for something Americans showed years ago. There has to be a better way.
JEAN COON January 10, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Mary,I face the same problem as you,however,actually it is downright,absolutely unbelievable that our government can sit on their buns and dream up such laws. I was previouly married in 1954 and divorced in 1955 in New York State.THAT IS 58 years ago! Like you no Paperwork why keep it.. I was born in the US,lived here all my life payed INCOME TAX BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL AND NOW I MUST PROVE WHO I AM SO I CAN RENEW MY DRIVER'S LICENSE
Richard R. January 25, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Isnt that the truth, You said it exactly as I would have.
Richard R. January 25, 2013 at 04:04 AM
They will get to that no later than the eleventeenth of Nebruary. AKA- Never. Sad, Another example of a law only law abiding citizens will follow.
Mary Newsome Cook February 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Since you speak from a mans' perspective, I understand what you're saying. But, as a woman that was born in this country with a valid Birth Certificate and Drivers' License I feel a little put out. I have to prove two marriages and divorces, one 40 years ago, and once 32 years ago. I have to write to the states they occurred in with the exact dates and counties they occured in, Send in a valid ID, pay a fee for each document and have the correct current address on my ID. If not I have to submit documents to prove where I live. Then I am priveleged to watch on the news that several states are handing out a Drivers' License to illegals. My sister went through this and it cost her a small fortune because she couldn't remember the exact place and date she was married. Every times she guessed she had to pay for it. It is ridiculous, costly and time consuming.
Regina White February 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM
It's just a massive pain now days when you do almost anything you have to carry a file folder full of proof.... That you are who you are... And you live where you live. And I get it that in some cases you have to do that. But now that out state has taken that extra step...and even put that tacky star on our DLs.... How about slacking up on us? I just have a feeling its all hogwash!! Some crackpot had an "idea" that's only wasted money and efforts. I might be more inclined to fully support this and believe in it.... When I see it in action.
Shawn March 25, 2013 at 01:48 PM
My father needs help fast!!! For the last 6 months my father has tried everything thinkable to obtain a birth certificate (including hiring a lawyer). 67 years ago he was born in a residential home, with no prof to show. Luther Weaver Jr. (My father) has been driving a CDL Truck for 46 years. He is already on the 120 day extension period. What he will loose, his job, his health insurance, want be able to pay any bills. My mother (his wife), is dying of cancer. We are in a dire need of help. This problem is all due to the new license renewal laws. Please help. I will be forwarding to all local, national, TV stations, and news papers. Once again please help. Thank you Shawn Weaver sweaver11000@yahoo.com
James Woodall January 29, 2014 at 07:04 PM
My 75 year old mother needs her license renewed by feb. 22nd. Her problem is she doesnt have a birth certificate she has tried to get one for years and cant.. Born at home by a midwife no record found. What can she do in lieu of this. She has her SS card and draws Social security. What is she to do?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something