Updated: Man Shot, Sent to Hospital, in Gwinnett SWAT Standoff

Incident occurred at 4690 Gold Mine Drive near Buford late Friday afternoon.

Gwinnett County, Ga., police news
Gwinnett County, Ga., police news


A wheelchair-bound man who barricaded himself in a Gwinnett County residence was shot and injured in a SWAT standoff Friday evening.

Jon Christopher Digiulio, 42, was taken to a local hospital after being shot around 6:30 p.m. at 4690 Gold Mine Road near Buford, where neighbors earlier heard gunshots and then called police.

The extent of his injuries was not released, but Gwinnett PD Cpl. Jake Smith said Digiulio was under guard in the hospital.

The officer who fired the shot that wounded Digiulio will be placed on administrative leave, a standard procedure, while the incident is investigated, Smith said.

Gwinnett PD responded to the report of gunfire around 4:15 p.m. Friday.

“Officers arrived on scene about 10 minutes later,” Smith said in a news release. “Officers made contact with the complainant and the suspect's family members … [and] learned that Digiulio was wheelchair bound and had been in a domestic dispute with his roommates the day before.”

Smith said officers couldn't convince Digiulio to give up, and around 5 p.m. he fired a shot out of the house. The SWAT team was then activated.

At 6:05 p.m., Digiulio fired several shots toward officers from a window.

“When the suspect reappeared in the window with a gun at about 6:30 p.m., an officer fired a single shot, striking the suspect,” Smith said.
Digiulio called 911 at 6:42 p.m., saying he was hurt and needed help. Ten minutes later, after it was confirmed the man was no longer armed, he was treated and then taken to the hospital.

No other information was released.

Earlier version of the story

A suspect was shot and taken to the hospital at a SWAT team call-out to a Gwinnett County residence Friday afternoon.

Gwinnett Police Cpl. Jake Smith said the SWAT team was activated after a neighbor heard gunshots fired at 4690 Gold Mine Drive near Buford at about 4:15 p.m. Friday, June 6.

"After some time on scene, responding officers were fired upon by the suspect," Smith said in a news release. "The SWAT team was activated. SWAT officers were also fired upon by the suspect upon their arrival.  A SWAT officer returned fire, striking and injuring the suspect."

No officers were injured.

No other information was immediately released.

wayne acree June 07, 2014 at 04:53 PM
"Ten minutes later, after it was confirmed the man was unharmed and injured, he was treated and then taken to the hospital." lol How can he be unharmed and injured at the same time????? lol lol


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »