.

Owner, 8 Dogs Escape Large Fire at Greyhound Rescue Business

The fire at Adopt a Greyhound was apparently started by a tipped-over propane heater.

A greyhound rescue facility in Gwinnett suffered a damaging fire around midday Wednesday, March 5, according to Gwinnett Fire.

Spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden reported in an emailed press release that Adopt A Greyhound at 4815 Annistown Road lost one building to the fire, and another building was severely damaged. This is an area in southeast Gwinnett County.

The fire started after a propane heater was tipped over.

The owner and eight greyhounds were displaced by the fire, but none were injured.

Firefighters arrived on scene at 11:53 a.m. and had the fire under control at 12:25 p.m., according to Rhoden.

Here’s the press release from Gwinnett Fire:

 

GWINNETT COUNTY FIRE MEDIA E-RELEASE

HOUSE/BUSINESS FIRE AT 4815 ANNISTOWN ROAD, STONE MOUNTAIN (ADOPT A GREYHOUND ATLANTA)

 

DATE: MARCH 5, 2014

TIME DISPATCHED: 11:48 AM

TIME ON SCENE: 11:53 AM

TIME UNDER CONTROL: 12:25 PM

 

Gwinnett County Firefighters were called out to a residential fire at the above address. Caller to the 911 center was the owner of the property which also housed the Adopt A Greyhound business.

Owner stated that there was a lot of smoke and heat in a building on the property which was attached to another one by a breezeway.

The owner believed that the fire may have been started by a heater inside the building.  On arrival, fire crews were faced with heavy smoke and fire and were told by the owner that the house was clear of people and animals.

Firefighters  initially laid fire attack hose lines to battle the blaze. Due to the heavy fire conditions an exterior attack was used to knock down the fire. The electrical service was disconnected as fire operations progressed to lessen the hazard to fire crews.

Heavy water streams were directed into the windows of the house at the seat of the fire. The intense heat and fire got into the frame members  and the roof of the house.

A large area of the roof was burned through and collapsed into the house. Fire crews made entry and extinguished hotspots. Two thorough searches were completed in the house.

One resident and eight Greyhound dogs were affected by the fire which totaled the building where they were housed.

Six of the dogs are available for adoption, the other two are the personal pets of the owner. Fire Investigators were called to the scene and determined that the fire was accidentally caused by an improperly used propane heater that was turned over and ignited the blaze.

One building is a total loss and the other will need the electric service restored before it is habitable. No injuries to humans of animals were reported.

 

Equipment On Scene
3-Engines, 1,-Ladder Truck, 1-Medic Ambulance, 1-Squad Truck, 2-Battalion Chiefs,  1-Air and Light Truck, 2-Fire Investigators and 1 PIO

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »