Now, let's delve into the nitty gritty of what you really want to do. Be honest with yourself.
Step Two: Articulate Your Goal
Decide what you want. Spell it out: What does it look like; what does it feel like? You have to really want it to invest the time and energy to follow your dream. Describe your ideal job:
- What is your ideal employer? (size, industry, culture, location, structure)
- How much would your dream job pay? (Realistically)
- What are the most important benefits — other than salary — that would prompt you to go to work for a new company?
- Describe your ideal job — the position you would most like to have. What is the job title, responsibilities, who you would report to, who would report to you. Would it involve travel? Do you want to work independently, as part of a team, or both? Do you like short-term projects or long-term projects?
- What do you want your next job to do for you that your last job didn’t do? In other words, what will be different about your next job? Is there anything that you do in your current job that you don’t want to do in your next job?
Think about the person that you want to be, and imagine the possibilities. Then, identify 2-3 goals you want to tackle. Use the S.M.A.R.T. goal system to articulate your goals — goals should be “Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-Oriented.”
For example, let’s imagine you have worked as an accountant for the past three years, but you really want to work in marketing. Your goal might be: “By Jan. 1, 2015, I will be working as a Marketing Assistant in a Fortune 1000 company”
You should also write down why you are interested in making the change. In other words, what is your motivation for taking this path? Another good question to ask yourself is, “How will I know when I’ve achieved my goal(s)?”
Download this worksheet as you go through each step developing your Career Roadmap.
New Leaf Career Solutions is a career consulting boutique that redefines individuals and small businesses professional brands. New Leaf partners with each client to provide quality résumés, cover letters, bios, brochures and much more. Visit newleafcareersolutions.com to schedule an appointment. Follow on Facebook and Twitter for daily tips. Call today to turn over a New Leaf !!