Originally posted by Ann Marie Quill
Although Gwinnett County students started classes Wednesday, parents can still get some bargains on school items during Georgia's tax-free holiday weekend before school begins.
If you plan on taking advantage of the 2013 tax free holiday, here are five things you need to know, according to the Georgia Department of Revenue website:
1. The holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 9, and ends at 12 midnight on Saturday, Aug. 10.
2. The following items will be exempt:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of $100 or less
- A single purchase, with a sale price of $1,000 or less of personal computers and computer related accessories
- General school supplies to be used in the classroom or in a class-room related activity with a sales price of $20 or less per item
3. The exemption does NOT apply to:
- Clothing accessories, jewelry, handbags, umbrellas, eyewear, watches, watchbands, cellular devices, furniture, computer-related accessories designed for recreational use, items used in a trade or business or for resale, or rentals; or·
- Sales in theme parks, entertainment complexes, public lodging establishments, restaurants, or airports.
4. For a complete list of exempt and taxable items, check the list here on the Georgia Department of Revenue website.
5. There will be another sales tax holiday in Georgia from Oct. 4 to 6, for energy and water efficient products.