Fire Crews Respond to Crogan Street Blaze
The fire, which started in a storefront basement at 162 E. Crogan St., affected several businesses in downtown Lawrenceville.
Firefighters put out a fire off East Crogan Street in downtown Lawrenceville on Monday afternoon that has affected many area businesses.
According to Gwinnett County Fire spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden, a business owner called 911 after seeing smoke and fire coming from the basement level of the storefront at 162 East Crogan Street.
The basement is common to several businesses including Sparkle Designs, Lawrence Design Group and Afric Art, Rhoden told Patch. The Lawrenceville Visitors Center and the Renaissance Realty Group also carry this location's address, too.
Firefighters arrived on scene at 12:17 p.m. and found heavy smoke in the basement, which shares adjoining walls with the other businesses. Crews were able to put out the fire, and firefighters were searching the building and double-checking for hotspots.
Many complications arose when trying to control the fire. The heavy smoke was aggravated by the sprinklers and made reaching the area and finding the fire more complex, according to Rhoden. Crews lost water pressure early on, but a new water supply was quickly established and the crews continued fire containment operations.
Additionally, part of the ceiling collapsed on a firefighter. Paramedics checked him out and he was released to continue battling the flames.
"Firefighters and commanders made a valiant effort to contain this fire, prevent any injuries and stop the spread of the fire to other businesses," wrote Rhoden in a news release.
Equipment on the Scene: 6-Engines, 3-Ladder Trucks, 2-Medic Ambulances, 1-Safety Officer, 3-Battalion Chiefs, 1-District Chief, 1-Medic Supervisor, GSAR2, 1-Squad Truck, 1-Air Light Truck, 1-PIO
Thanks to Monika Nix at Lawrenceville Tourism & Trade for sharing these photos.