Fire Breaks Out at Lawrenceville YMCA
A quick response from staff at the Y kept the fire from spreading throughout the gym on Sugarloaf Parkway.
A small fire broke out in a restroom at the J.M. Tull YMCA on Sugarloaf Parkway at about 3pm Tuesday.
Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge credits a quick acting staff at the Y for getting everyone out safely and controlling the situation. A wellness coach reportedly put out the flames in a men's restroom in the back of the facility with a fire extinguisher before evacuating the entire building.
"The alert actions of the YMCA staff helped to calm the situation and minimized the fire damage," said Rutledge in a release. "The staff quickly recognized the emergency, sounded the fire alarm, and began an orderly evacuation. The staff put their fire evacuation plan into practice and it paid off today."
When fire crews arrived on the scene, they found the fire began in the exhaust fan unit in the restroom. The flames were contained and did not spread or cause damage. Smoke did flow into the bathroom area.
YMCA staff and patrons were able to re-enter the building at about 3:30pm.
In a call to the Y, Patch learned the facility is currently open, however the restroom where the fire began is temporarily closed.
Rutledge encourages every workplace to have a fire safety and evacuation plan. For more information, please contact the Gwinnett Fire Community Risk Reduction Division at 678-518-4845 or e-mail email@example.com.